Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Lessons learned...chain Maintenance and lube


Its been a fun few days...depending on your definition of fun. Today I questioned my definition of it. My chain adjustment didn't go as well as planned. Seems to be working fine but I am sure there will be another adjustment soon. And in my packing haste I forgot chain lube so tomorrow I will search for the alternatives before heading into the wilderness on the Cassiar Highway. Met a great guy named Jack last night at a campground on a lake(in the pic). He is 60 years old with 7 adopted kids from New York that decided to learn how to ride a bike and then a couple years later ride it for 3 months from New York to Prudhoe Bay and then down to San Diego and across the South and back to New York. He pretty much humbled us with our tricked out adventure bikes and all our gear. He was wearing hiking boots and riding a Suzuki Vstrom 650. Doing 450 plus a day....alone. The farther we get North the warning signs have gone from "look out for deer, to look out for Caribou, to look out for Moose, and now Bears". A couple more days till Alaska...

3 comments:

  1. You guys look like you're having fun! Yea! BTW, the first Hell rehearsal was better than I could've dreamed. Remember when we were both worried about your ride and my show about a month ago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug, great ride report! Keep 'em coming. I've been there with chain problems on a long trip. If you're adjusting it every gas stop, or even once a day, that's too much and you better get it replaced before you head north out of Fairbanks.

    Watch your gmail for my own blog links for the Iron Butt Rally.

    Jerry (Gap)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lions and tigers and now... bears... oh my. As you get close to Alaska, the question that is still burning in my head is that I wonder if what Palin said is true. Can you really see Russia from her porch? LOL
    I just got back today from a few days in Bangkok. Thought of you guys in the less-than-frozen-tundra and had a couple of drinks in your names. I am sure your ride is full of mechanical adventures but where you get to sit at the end of the day is what makes it all worth it. Keep us posted! Antonio in Tokyo

    ReplyDelete